A website with all that an ENT PG & UG student needs…….
- Adrenaline is unstable at normal or higher pH
- Lignocaine is ionized at normal or higher pH and so more active (reason why sodium bicarbonate is added to moffet’s solution)
- In dental cartridge, to maintain adrenaline stability –> low pH –> but leads to low activity of lignocaine
- In self pre constituted mixture, adrenaline being unstable becomes inactive à adrenaline effect lost –> lignocaine systemic absorption faster –> pain intra operatively
- Therefore, best is re constitution of mixture immediately before surgery